Pets And Rental Property

Why are some landlords struggling these days with issues around pets?

More people have pets than ever before, especially millennials. If you want the widest base of potential tenants, you want to accept pets.

We have always welcomed pet owners in our properties and never had any substantial damage at all from a pet.

Why would a landlord treat treat an Iraq and Afghanistan Army veteran who needs an emotional support dog like this?

I just don't get it. Maybe somebody can share what they think?

Good question; I read a statistic the other day that something around 80% of millennials own at least 1 cat or dog. And it seems like the trend is only continuing to increase.

On the note of the article, that's upsetting on multiple levels. That poor vet. I'm glad he got it settled in the end.

According to The Humane Society of the U.S. the main reason dogs and cats end up in shelters is that people move to housing where pets are not welcome.
Just look at the flooding in Houston and how many shelters accommodated pets.
If just a few more landlords became pet friendly, there would be fewer animals in shelters and happier long-term tenants.

That's so crazy to me; I cannot imagine moving somewhere that wouldn't allow me to keep cat. Those places just wouldn't even be looked at. But hey that's just me. I've talked to other tenants in my own apartment complex that have said similar things had happened to them in the past.

I agree that if you want your renters to stay and minimize turnover, you have to allow pets for whatever reason. To stay people have to feel it is their home and pets help make that happen. We have had damage. I believe we will step up our inspections to make sure the damage doesn't compound.

Frequency and scrutiny.  Frequency tells the tenant it won't be easy to hide new additions.  Scrutiny will allow you to remove tenants with a spot or two on the wooden floor before the entire floor is damaged (or entire door, or entire woodwork, etc.).  If small problems are addressed, repaired and billed to the tenant, they will be a bit more careful down the road.  Sometimes we do have to teach tenants what is acceptable.
We have started characterize an additional monthly fee as animal rent.  Sounds strange, but we have chosen not to use the word pet but animal.  The additional amount for our population is very small but I believe it is effective.

Both concepts sound wise to me; sometimes people need to lose a little to value what they have more. 

Further, I've read several articles recently that suggest that people are more willing to pay smaller, more frequent payments than one time, larger payments (see Netflix, for example). 

• 9 months later...